FCDSA ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
The FCDSA holds an Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Council members. Beginning in 2016, the Council also held a Planning Session following the AGM to plan activities for the next year. The official notice of meeting is sent to all member associations and current Council members. Member associations are asked to confirm which two students will represent them at the meeting. Information about this year's event dates can be found in the calendar section of this site.
For more information on meetings of the Council, please refer to the FCDSA General Bylaws available on this site, contact one of your school’s FCDSA Council members, or use the contact form on this site.
Here are the Flash Reports and photo galleries from the last two AGMs and Planning Sessions. To see the minutes of the AGMs please visit the Council Minutes page.
January 18, 2017: Flash Report of the 2018 AGM and Planning Session
Annual General Meeting
On January 18, 2018, the Federation of Canadian Dentistry Student Associations (FCDSA) held its sixth Annual General Meeting and third Council Planning Session at the Westin Harbour Castle Convention Center, Toronto, ON. These meetings were held in conjunction with the 2018 Canadian Dental Student Conference (CDSC)
The 10 member associations (one from each of the Canadian dental schools) were represented by junior and senior Council members.
June 13-14, 2017: Flash Report of the 2017 AGM and Planning Session
Annual General Meeting
On June 13 and 14, 2017, the Federation of Canadian Dentistry Student Associations (FCDSA) held its fifth Annual General Meeting and second Council Planning Session at the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac Hotel in Quebec City, Quebec. These meetings were held in conjunction with the Biennial Conference of the Association of Canadian Faculties of Dentistry (ACFD).
The 10 member associations (one from each of the Canadian dental schools) were represented by junior and senior Council members. Other student leaders included Tanya Sue Maestas (Texax-Houston '18), President of the American Student Dental Association (ASDA) and Zane Haji (Toronto '19), Regent for Canada for the Student Professionalism and Ethics Association (SPEA).
Other external guests were: Dr. Paul Allison, Dean of the McGill University Faculty of Dentistry and President of the Association of Canadian Faculties of Dentistry (ACFD), Dr. Larry Levin, President of the Canadian Dental Association (CDA), Dr. Joel Antel, CDA Board of Directors and Liaison to FCDSA, Claude Paul Boivin, CDA Executive Director, Dr. Benoit Soucy, CDA Director, Clinical and Scientific Affairs, Dr. Diane Legault, President of the Canadian Regulatory Authorities Federation (CDRAF), Ms. Susan Roberts, Vice-President, Insurance Advisory Services for CDSPI; and Kim Phillips, Manager, Communications of the The National Dental Examining Board (NDEB).
Thanks go to CDSPI and ACFD for their generous financial support of the Annual General Meeting and the first Council Planning Session. Thanks go to the Canadian Dental Association for its ongoing support in hosting the FCDSA Secretariat and providing logistical and other administrative support.
June 20, 2016: Flash Report of the 2016 AGM and Planning Session
Annual General Meeting
On June 18, the Federation of Canadian Dentistry Student Associations (FCDSA) held its fourth Annual General Meeting in Ottawa. The 10 member associations (one from each dental school in Canada)4 were represented by junior and senior Council members. Other student leaders included Sohaib Soliman (Washington ’17), President of the American Student Dental Association (ASDA) and Michael E. Hall, Jr. (Augusta ’18), National Chair of the Student Professionalism and Ethics Association (SPEA).
Other external guests were: Dr. Paul Allison, Dean of the McGill University Faculty of Dentistry and President of the Association of Canadian Faculties of Dentistry (ACFD); Dr. Benoit Soucy, CDA Director, Clinical and Scientific Affairs, Dr. John O’Keefe, CDA Director, Knowledge Networks, and Dr. Suham Alexander, Clinical Editor, CDA Oasis, representing the Canadian Dental Association (CDA), Dr. Brian Rinehart, President of the Canadian Regulatory Authorities Federation (CDRAF), Ms. Susan Roberts, Vice-President, Insurance Advisory Services for CDSPI; and Dr. Jack Gerrow, Executive Director and Registrar and Jennifer Sponchia, Manager, Credential Verifications & Program Services, representing The National Dental Examining Board (NDEB).
Thanks go to CDSPI for its generous financial support of the Annual General Meeting and the first Council Planning Session. Thanks go to the Canadian Dental Association for its ongoing support in hosting the FCDSA Secretariat and providing logistical and other administrative support.
The AGM considered reports from the invited guests and Council committees and working groups. The key outcomes for the past year included the following:
The Year in Review
- The Year in Review reported progress on the three federation goals to Connect, Engage and Advocate.
- The first National Forum for Dentistry Students web-conference took place in March to identify issues faced by dental students. Here, students discuss issues and formulate possible solutions/recommendations. The FCDSA will be directly involved and will take the lead on issues impacting dental students at a national level. More forums are planned.
- CDA helped facilitate the first virtual town hall meeting, bringing together a panel of experts and dental students to discuss ethical cases. The FCDSA partnered with CDA and SPEA on this project. The next town hall meeting will be held in collaboration with NDEB.
- The Finance Committee developed a Sponsorship Package and has begun talks with several large dental suppliers.
- The audience for the Facebook page and website is growing. Both include new features focused on leadership and student leaders in action. Student input will be sought on other content areas to be developed. The website is currently unilingual but plans are being developed to translate the content.
- FCDSA representatives attended meetings of CDSPI, ACFD, NDEB, CDA and ASDA.
- The ACFD meeting included discussions of a joint CDA/ACFD research and development project to assess the admissions criteria, determine research areas and make recommendations on how to improve the selection system. FCDSA looks forward to working with ACFD in the future.
Outcomes of 2016 AGM
- Council confirmed the FCDSA goals and objectives: Connect, Engage, Advocate
- Council confirmed the following priority projects:
- Finances: Using sponsorship package, develop plan to approach potential sponsors. Develop sustainable financial model.
- Representation: Members of Executive to attend meetings/events – contingent on available funds.
- Website: Identify/fill gaps, translate content
- Issues Management: Using multiple/flexible methods, identify issues of concern and strategies for addressing them.
- Dental Student Conference: Plan first conference by 2018
- Student Wellness: Develop plan to advocate for students’ health and wellness
- Approval of the 2015 financial statements, revised activity plan for 2016 and preliminary activity plan for 2017.
- The FCDSA 2016 Canadian NDEB Examination Survey Report was presented. The report, including its nine recommendations, was submitted to NDEB for consideration.
- The 2017 AGM will be held in conjunction with the ACFD bi-annual meeting. The Executive will work with ACFD to determine the program, rolls and responsibilities.
- A Dental Student Conference Committee was established to oversee preparations for a new Dental Student Conference. It is hoped the first conference will be held in 2018.
- A Student Wellness Committee was established to address dental students’ physical and emotional wellbeing by increasing awareness of the prevalent health problems among dental students, offering solutions on a personal level, and advocating for its improvement as a national voice.
- FCDSA hopes to adopt many of the strategies presented by Dr. John O’Keefe for bringing dental students together to discuss issues.
- Appointments to committees and working groups for 2016-2017.
- Agreement of a revised list of organizations to be invited to the annual general meetings.
- Election of new Executive, including the election of Khashayar Gharavi (Toronto ’17) to a second term as FCDSA President.
The FCDSA Executive for 2016-2017 is as follows:
- Khashayar Gharavi (Toronto ’17) President
- Ivy Fangyu Lin (McGill ’17) Vice-President
- Kelsey Eatmon (Dalhousie ’18) Regional councillor – Eastern Canada
- Julie Delcorde (Toronto ’18) Regional councillor – Central Canada
- Kerri-Lyn Chong (UBC ’18) Regional councillor – Western Canada
Council Planning Session
On June 19, the FCDSA Council held its inaugural Planning Session, facilitated by Dr. John O’Keefe, CDA Director, Knowledge Networks. Dr. O’Keefe along with Dr. Brian Rinehart of the CDRAF and Ms. Monique Bouchard of the FCSDA Secretariat made themselves available to the Council for advice and guidance during the Committee workshops.
Outcomes of 2016 Council Planning Session
- The Finance Committee will continue work on current contacts and established specific goals for contacting other companies by the end of the year. It will collaborate with other Committees to help secure funds for priority and other projects. It asked the External Communications Committee to increase the visibility for the sponsorship page and the new Monetary Gift Form to attract individual and corporate monetary gifts.
- The Internal Communications Committee will produce a video to introduce FCDSA, its Council members and its goals. They will identify matters of importance to students in order to develop Facebook postings that are more relevant. Overall, they will take a personal approach using both traditional and new media.
- The External Communications Committee will take more ownership of the website, with committee members taking on administrative rights. They will restructure the website based on feedback, will add content as developed, and will work to get the site translated. It will work with the other committees to ensure their needs are taken into account in the new design.
- The Dental Student Conference Committee established coordinators for each aspect of the dental student conference. The Committee will consult with Council as it considers the program and logistics.
- The Student Wellness Committee entertained a wealth of ideas which need to be refined. They hope to partner with CDSPI, the medical student federation and other organizations to share existing resources, identify new resources needed and develop activities and challenges.